Barbara Bergstein specializes in elder law and estate planning. Her
practice includes estate and gift taxation planning, asset preservation
for government benefits (Medi-Cal), durable powers of attorney and
probate, including probate and trust controversy.
Ms. Bergstein is frequently consulted regarding the uses and
drafting of special needs trusts for families with disabled children.
In addition, she frequently drafts special needs trusts in personal
injury settlements for disabled minors and adults.
Ms. Bergstein is the author of “The Uses of Irrevocable
Special Needs Trusts in Gift and Estate Tax Planning” which appeared in
Tax Information Perspectives, a publication of the Estate &
Gift Tax Subcommittee, California Tax Bar.
She is the parent of a child with Autism and has experienced
first hand the heartache and struggles of having a loved one with
special needs. She has served as a board member of the Autism Society
of Los Angeles and often speaks to parents about the rights of children
Ms. Bergstein is a frequent lecturer for the State Bar of
California, AICPA, and the CalCPA Education Foundation.
- California State Bar (Probate & Trust
- Los Angeles County Bar Association (Probate & Trust
- Beverly Hills Bar Association (Order of Distinguished Attorneys)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association (Probate & Trust
- San Fernando Valley Bar (Probate & Trust
- Member National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
*Past Member Executive Board of the State Bar Estate and Gift
- Past Member Los Angeles County Bar, Trusts and Estates
Section, Executive Board
- Past Member of the Incapacity Subcommittee, State of
California, Trusts and Estates Section
1994 & 1995 Recipient State Bar of California Wiley W. Manuel
Pro Bono Award